canafire1

Neighbors to the rescue as duplex fire displaces Westcreek residents

July 29, 2014

An accidental fire caused by improperly discarded smoking material destroyed both sides of a duplex in the Westcreek neighborhood on Saturday afternoon, July 26. Two of the Cana Cove residents were treated for smoke inhalation, one for a pre-existing medical condition, and another for a dog bite as her frightened dog fought evacuation.

Loss to the structure is estimated at $200,000, with another $50,000 loss for the contents.

Amy Smith lived in the “A” unit with her mom Debbie and daughter Elise. At about 4:30 p.m. she heard a loud bang from the adjoining unit, followed by a scream. Seconds later her neighbor, Jeremy Rish, was pounding on her door, begging for a fire extinguisher to stem the blaze that was burning in his garage. She did not have one. By then flames were shooting out of the garage.

Continue reading

Latest news