This Old Spouse
Featured Post History // February 23, 2015 //
Schools have long been important to Oak Hill, operating and educating in the area since 1856. When the Public or Free School Law was enacted in 1879, James Andrew Patton, the unofficial mayor of Oak Hill, was elected one of the first Oak Hill trustees. He would hold that position for 40 years.
The “Live Oak Springs” school was replaced in 1865 by a log cabin: the Shiloh School. A wooden frame building on Williamson Creek replaced Shiloh in 1879. This one-room schoolhouse was enlarged to two rooms simply by hanging a curtain across the center.
Citizens passed a bond election in the early 1920s to construct a new school. J.A. Patton donated an acre of land to build Oak Hill Elementary School, which opened in 1923. Rooms were added to the school in 1933, 1953 and 1958.
After 50 years, it was shuttered when a newer Oak Hill Elementary School opened in 1974 on nearby Patton Ranch Road. Even now, memories of the old school remain.
Edith Hector Tyler told the Gazette, “My mom, Willie Mae Marx Hector and her oldest brother, Bennie Marx, were among some of the first children that attended the school. Mom’s youngest sister, Emma Lee Marx Johnson, and her future husband, Jimmy “Cotton” Johnson, attended the school at the same time.”
Featured Post History // December 3, 2014 //
Oak Hill Elementary School celebrated 40 years in its current building with an event featuring past faculty and students from as far back as the 1930s.
Nearly 1,000 filled the school cafeteria to pay tribute to the school’s rich history in Oak Hill with music, dancing and visits from past principals, staff and students from previous decades. Three former principals, school district officials and others came together to acknowledge the history and accomplishments of the school.
Featured Post History // October 29, 2012 //
While haunted houses, graveyards and Austin’s famed Driskill Hotel may be haunted hot spots this Halloween, a familiar sight in Oak Hill holds a wild west history and ghostly love story to captivate even the most experienced ghost hunter. In the 15 years she’s worked at the Austin Pizza Garden, housed in the historic rock building at 6626 West Highway 290, weekend manager Jayme Garza has had so many unexplained encounters she’s lost track.
Featured Post History // July 22, 2012 //
Even the ones who were there don’t know everything about Oak Hill Downs. A fixture in Oak Hill for some 20 years, Oak Hill Downs was at first a dog-racing track in the early 1940s, then was a horse track and stock car dirt track and eventually included a drag strip. Oh, and there were even chariot races in the 1950s, presumably inspired by the success of Charlton Heston in “Ben Hur.”
Featured Post History // June 13, 2012 //
Nearly every Oak Hill resident knows Joe Tanner Lane: if not for the shortcut from William Cannon to Highway 290, then as the chief headache and bottleneck as Highway 290 empties into a one-lane traffic jam at the Joe Tanner Lane traffic signal. Only a few know of the lane’s namesake, and fewer still remember the man personally.
History // March 20, 2012 //
A look inside what is now the 290 West Club. According to the current owner, the building was constructed in the mid-1800s as a post office on Fitzhugh Road, and was later moved to its current location where it became The Little Wheel roadhouse bar and dancehall. by Kevin Brown From the 18th Annual Old Oak Hill issue now in stands all over Southwest Austin Call them honky-tonks, roadhou...
History // December 20, 2011 //
Jerry Angerman with his helicopter high atop the Pinnacle building around 1985. by Ann Fowler Written in March of 2006, published in the annual Oak Hill Yesteryear issue. Developer. Publisher. Businessman. Banker. Entrepreneur. Community activist. Husband. Father. He was nicknamed the Mayor of Oak Hill, but not everyone appreciated his visions for this community. “I’ve been called a lot of ...
History // December 6, 2011 //
Black and white stripes were declared to be the “in” look in Oatmanville for Fall 1885, and 100 prisoners were transported to the little village, their ankles hobbled by heavy chains and iron balls, their every move watched by armed guards and trained dogs. By day they cut stone, by night they slept in a flimsy frame shelter. Some men died on the site, while others tried to escape and were shot dead. Eventually a legend grew up that these dead prisoners were buried under limestone cairns on what came be known as “Convict Hill.”