Old Oak Hill School–a history and a hope for preservation

February 23, 2015  

Schools have long been important to Oak Hill, operating and educating in the area since 1856. When the Public or Free School Law was enacted in 1879, James Andrew Patton, the unofficial mayor of Oak Hill, was elected one of the first Oak Hill trustees. He would hold that position for 40 years. The “Live Oak Springs” school was replaced in 1865 by a log cabin: the Shiloh School. A wooden frame ...

Continue reading